Booking a visit could not be easier. Telephone 01904 615505 or e-mail email@example.com.
|Prices||Barley Hall (entrance and tour)||Barley Hall with one extra JORVIK Group attraction||Barley Hall with two extra JORVIK Group attractions *||Barley Hall with three extra JORVIK Group attractions *||Barley Hall with four extra JORVIK Group attractions *|
*Schools do not have to visit all three, four or five attractions in the same day. Please contact the reservations department. Prices may be subject to change. Please call our reservations line to confirm prices at time of booking.
- Workshops: £2.00 per child, or £1.50 if booked with two or more attractions.
- Barley Hall Half-Day Experiences: £2.50 per child, or £2 when booked with two or more attractions.
- Fit For a King: £7 per child, £3.80 per teacher (one teacher goes free for every 6 children booked)
One teacher goes free with every six school children booked.
A tour of Barley Hall lasts approximately 1 hour and individual workshops will take an additional 45 minutes.
‘Fit for a King’ normally runs from 10am – 2pm.
Free lunch facilities in the Great Hall for schools booking a full day visit to Barley Hall; please pre-book. For half day visits, schools can use the DIG lunch room subject to availability.
10.00 16.00 (last admission) daily from April October
10.00 15.00 (last admission) daily from October March
Closed 24/25/26th December
Code of Conduct
Please ensure your pupils respect other visitors, museum objects and attraction staff.
Staff reserve the right to ask visitors to leave if their behaviour disrupts the experience of others in the attraction.
Your tick list of things to remember:
- Book a free familiarisation visit to your chosen venue.
- Ask about our workshop programme.
- Before ringing the reservations line check you have the date and time of your visit ready to check for availability, preferably with a range of possible alternatives if your desired date is not available.
- Although we will always do our best to accommodate your group’s requirements, we are grateful for at least four weeks notice when booking workshops, outreach or Virtual Viking Outreach.
- Once you have booked, check you have received your confirmation letter from us and that all of the booking details are correct.
- Check you have the adequate number of adults accompanying your class. York Archaeological Trust recommends a 1:6 teacher pupil ratio.
- If you do not cancel a booking with at least 24hrs notice you will be charged 50% of the visit total.
- School parties should allow one hour and fifteen minutes for a visit to JORVIK and Micklegate Bar, and 90 minutes for a visit to DIG. Barley Hall visit times vary according to your booking. We request that groups arrive on time; owing to high demand, late-comers may be asked to join the queue or put into another time slot. Please be aware that this may result in you having a shorter visit length than the standard visit.
- DIG has space for up to 35 people to eat a packed lunch, free of charge. Visitors to DIG can also eat lunch in the garden. School parties booking a ‘Fit for a King’ or our ‘Medieval Day’ all eat lunch at Barley Hall. Please note that pre-booking is essential. To book a half-hour lunch slot (between 11.00 and 14.00), please request a time when booking your visit to JORVIK, DIG, Micklegate Bar and Barley Hall.
- Please note: a maximum of 32 children can be accommodated in the ‘Fit For a King’ and ‘Tudor School’ workshops. A maximum of 20 children can be accompanied in the ‘Anglo-Saxon and Viking Costume’ workshop.
- When booking workshops, a minimum group size of fifteen children applies. For information on booking workshops for smaller groups, please contact our reservations team.
- To book a a virtual outreach session, decide whether you want to use Skype or the ja.net video conferencing service (JVCS). We recommend that you check with your IT support team to find out if your local authority blocks either of these options. If you want to use Skype we need to know your Skype ID. JVCS is available for use by all ja.net primary connected organisations, schools and their guests. You can sign in as our guest if you are not a JVCS venue. If you are a JVCS venue, we need to know your venue name. When making your booking, you will also need to book a test session (normally late afternoon Wednesday-Thursday at least two weeks prior to the date of your virtual outreach session) and will need to provide a mobile contact number.
Brownies, Guides, Cubs And Scouts
Achieve your badge at Barley Hall
Barley Hall is a very popular venue for brownies, guides, cubs and scouts. All of our school workshops and tours can be specially adapted and include sessions which work towards achieving badges.